Saturday, October 1, 2011

Cape Town

I'm not sure of the time, date, or day of the week, but we're here! We've never been further from home - 16,000 k.m./10,000 miles. We are incredibly bleary but couldn't be happier.

Our flight from London to Cape Town was fantastic. The plane we were in had one of the upgraded cabins we were wanting. We were excited about it but to be honest, we like the older cabins just as much although it was nice to have a collapsable partition between us so we could talk throughout the flight. We slept most of the way, anyway, and stole another two sets of pyjamas.
We woke up as we were flying over Windhoek, Namibia. We had breakfast because, again, we had worked up a real appetite after sitting on our ass for 11 hours. As we descended, we got little glimpses of where we were about to land. This would have been a great flight to have a window seat on. Oh well. What I saw was good enough for me.
Cape Town's airport is quite small and we made it through fairly quickly. I wouldn't normally post about the airport but this time, I can't help it. As we stood there waiting for our suitcases, three security guards came out of an office - all with BEAGLES - sniffing for bombs and drugs, I suppose. Obviously none of them were as cute as Walter but thankfully they were just as dumb. Not one found the brick of heroin in our carry-on.
A driver from our hotel met us at the airport at about 8:00 a.m. local time and we drove straight to the hotel. Our room wasn't ready until noon so they gave us access to a 'day-use' room so we could shower. We cleaned up, stowed our bags at the hotel, and went wandering around the waterfront. Table Mountain is and was especially beautiful today. I'm sure it happens often enough but a thick blanket of clouds spilled off the top, rolling down the sides and disappeared before they hit the ground. It was a sight to be seen. Our driver said it was called 'The Table Cloth' that was coming down. Fitting. It made a spectacular backdrop to our hotel.
We had about 4 hours to kill before our room was ready so we wandered around the waterfront and window-shopped. After about an hour, we stumbled on the Two Oceans Aquarium. We figured, what the hell? Probably not our best idea given that we were jet lagged and bitchy. SWARMS of children. Kind of cool even still but not our best decision.
We were very thankful once we got the keys to our room. We were walking around like zombies for a good portion of the time we were out and about... but we snapped out of it once we were led to our suite. Woot! This is the way to start of a trip!

The room is amazing but there was just one thing missing... (don't judge us!... we miss our little nugget).
We're currently doing our best to stay awake until 6:00 p.m. to try and reset our internal clocks. I'm not sure we're going to be successful (as I watch Ryan nod off while looking at his iPad) but we'd better try because we've got a full day booked tomorrow - a tour of the Cape Peninsula. Can't wait!


7 comments:

Gucci Muse said...

Wow, very nice!

mmrilla said...

Awesome! This is stupid, but could you please take a pic of that chandelier over the dining room table. I was trying to get a better look of it through the whole video and (I think) it looks really cool? But I can't tell!

E-mail it to me if you don't want to blog it, pretty please!

Unknown said...

The Cape Peninsula is amazing. Make sure to watch out for ostriches on the beach at Cape Point!

Kalk Bay is one of my favourite places. There's very good ice cream there.

Waltersgram said...

I want to live in that room! Loved seeing the Beagles at the airport, Walter would have sniffed out a brick for sure. Yesterday he got the scent of something & nose to ground, we were off around the yard and when he got to the back he started barking like crazy & pulling hard, don't know what he smelled, but it was like nothing he had done before. He's one strong dog I'll tell you. I love that you put a picture of your little nugget next to your bed, I also laughed when I saw that... I enjoy reading & seeing your luxurious vacation, can't wait for more...Hope you are having a good snooze!xo

Paige Jennifer said...

That hotel room is exactly what I imagine when I dream of becoming Eloise. Gorgeous!

Miss Hart said...

very nice guys...Ry i love your smile.....i think its your signature smile lol, so awesome...can't wait for more :)

Melissavina said...

I don't know if it's because you're getting married or because of the room, but I'm crying.