Sunday, August 12, 2007

Opposites Attract

Ryan and I share many interests... but truth be told, we are probably more different than alike which I think works to our advantage (usually). For example, those of you who know Ryan and his love affair with Madonna can understand why it is necessary for me to hate her in order for us to retain friendships with people.

Usually I don't notice the differences anymore but every so often, something happens to remind me that he and I are truly cut from different cloth. After today's shining example, I'm pretty sure that the fabric I'm referring to is a practical denim, and a rare, imported silk (or so he thinks). We are currently sitting in the airport lounge, waiting to board the plane (taking full advantage of the free wine and spirits offered). As we were checking in, the lady began tagging our luggage and asked if we were interested in downgrading to economy class. It seems that they overbooked business class and they were looking for takers. In my mind I am thinking "As if honey... any other questions?" Then she told us what they were offering. If we gave up our seats... as in, the seats we booked with air miles... as in, free... we would each be given a credit of $1500 EUROS CASH... EACH! As I was putting luggage tags onto the cases, Ryan flatly refused and had a conversation with the woman about how hard it would be to convince someone to do that.

Um, WHAT?!? Pardon me? We just turned down a 3000 Euro credit for extra legroom and warm cookies on a flight that we'll be sleeping on for 90% of the time? I was dying... DYING. For those of you that are not familiar with Euro, today's exchange rate quotes 3000 Euro at $4,325.09 Canadian Dollars. Did I mention I'm dying? Ryan said that he's on vacation and was looking forward to this part of the trip, and the new lie-down seats on the plane... which is true. He all about new planes and hotel rooms... but still.

I'm married to a princess... DYING!!

4 comments:

mama-mia said...

Jess, you are just tooo funny, I must always remember to empty my bladder before I start reading the blog, or I will pee my pants. God, I laughed, I can just picture the look on both your faces when she asked if you would go economy.Jess the practical one and well, Ryan the "princess" oops, did I just say that? Sorry I missed your call, Ry.
XO

Cassy said...

Umm, I'm with you... Hell no! I'll take the money, and sleep with someone else sleeping on my shoulder... You should have left your honey for 9 hours or whatever flight time, and got you some money for your sleepy time... tis what I say.....mmmmhmmm.....

Marita Says said...

Would you not be able to fly business back. In which case the cash option would have been a decent compromise. Enjoy Italy. I'm jealous!

Pooks said...

I am not sure I would have had the choice...Blayne would have been graciously thanking them for demoting us..But who am I kidding, I too would have been pumped to have the extra spending money...Sorry we missed you on our way home from the coast...hope you are having fun.