Thursday, December 20, 2007

The Middle Of Nowhere

Thursday, December 20
The weather in Patagonia is temperate, yet extremely unpredictable. We just canceled an excursion we had booked (hiking to various platforms that overlook the glacier) because it was pouring and dreary. The excursion leaves in five minutes and as I sit here and watch the group amass to leave, it has suddenly become a crystal clear and sunny day. Oh well. It's 5:30 p.m. and Ryan isn't feeling too hot (maybe because the ice trekking was the first exercise we've had in about 2 months) so maybe it's just as well. Oh wait, he just showed up... coincidence that I just ordered myself a beer? He's got the nose of a bloodhound.

O.k... after getting off that ass backwards flight on Air Guacamole (I'm surprised there weren't goats and chickens running down the aisles), we hoped in a van and drove through El Calafante to our hotel 'Los Notros' which is approximately 1.5 hours drive away. When we say we're in the middle of nowhere, we are not kidding. Having said that, it is the best option. If we hadn't stayed here, we would have had to stay in town and make the 1.5 hour drive to and from the glacier everyday. We would far rather be where we are for two days. Take a look at the landscape on the way there, and a picture of our hotel from the boat we took to the glacier: We got to our room and took a look around. Remember that 'gay gasp' Ryan said I made when we saw Robert Deniro? Well he let out several shrill screams when a) he saw a large spider run across the floor and b) he realized there was no T.V. I used to make fun of him for being a princess about these things but I've got to say... I've turned into one myself. It would be comforting to watch BBC World News for a couple minutes. Anyway, how would I describe the room. Kind of like my grandma's basement bedroom in that 'cozy, rustic, shitty bed with a bar across your back all night' kind of way.
Now for the ice trekking. Wow, wow, wow. I didn't have any expectations and had no idea what we were in for. It was absolutely spectacular. Aside from forgetting sunscreen (again) and coming close to frying my bald head for a second time on this trip, it was a picture perfect day. I didn't have 'ice trekking on a glacier' on my 'life's to-do list.' It's never even something that registered in my mind. People, I'm telling you... write it in the margins beside 'African Safari' and 'Riding a Camel in Egypt.' I would upload a lot more pictures but it is taking a lifetime for them to load. Here are two... one of the actual glacier and one of me getting my clamp-ons strapped to my shoes (we just realized that we need to switch cameras throughout the day. Ryan was holding the small camera which is why there are only small, postable pictures of me):

Friday, December 21
Sorry it's taken so long to post. The speed of the internet is up and down. I wanted to wait until I could actually put some pictures up.

After I talked about seeing Ryan yesterday (above), he went straight back to bed. He was the sickest he's been in 10 years. We're guessing it was food poisoning. It was actually scary watching and hearing him sleep. He was running a fever, twitching, weird sounds coming from his mouth and stomach. I didn't end up sleeping much because I kept wondering what the hell we were going to do if there was something really wrong with him. "DON'T WORRY SIR! THE AMBULANCE WILL BE HERE IN 2 HOURS!" I should have known something was amiss when earlier that day he peered out the window in his underwear and told the robin chirping outside of our window to "Shut Up!"

Anyway, that's all for now. We are here for the rest of the day and then being strapped back in to the tin-can-of-death and heading back to Buenos Aires. We will post once we get there.

6 comments:

Whiskeymarie said...

O.k, only one comment here to sum up all of the posts I just read.
Holy cow, you guys are on a fab trip. So jealous that you are somewhere so interesting (Glaciers!) and Posh (macaroons! Yeah, I know those were two different places, but you get it).

And not one, but TWO brushes with fame?
Take me with next time you take a christmas trip- please? I'd much rather risk death in the tin-can flight than mingle with the relatives any day.

Diva said...

I certainly hope Ryan feels better today!! That is awful, but you never know what might jack your stomach up when you're globe trotting.

Other than the tummy issue, it sounds like you all are seeing lots and enjoying the hell out of it!

Merry Christmas to you both!!

HopSkipJump said...

Divalicious, Ryan here, thanks for caring. Actually feeling a lot better today. Jess took me on a 15km hike (not an exaggeration) to try and shake my bug (it was a hard sell this morning but I think it kinda worked!) Merry Christmas to you too!

Whiskeymarie, Jess tells me you are hilarious, Christmas next year is on!! Will let you know the details. We can all get matching pajamas and walk to and from the hotel spa together.

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you are feeling better Ryan. Felt so bad for you.
All I can say is WOW, what a trip, even if there was 1 spider!I am so thrilled for you both to be on such a spectacular vacation. Me, I have "A New Day" DVD playing in the background as I wrap the last gifts, that is happiness to me. Miss you more as Xmas nears, but you will be in our thoughts.
Jess, just be thankful you have sun to burn your head, we are getting snow AGAIN,and then turning to rain. Hugs to you both....

HopSkipJump said...

Mums the word: Mom, I would be OK with wrapping Christmas presents but the Celine in the background... not sure I could handle that (guess which son this is?).

Hi mom, this whole Christmas thing seems to really have interfered with your obsession with our travel blog. So nice to read your comments when you find the time.

Good lord... it's Jess again. Talk about a guilt trip. Don't feel obligated to write anything. Just enjoy the holidays and know we will be doing the same.

Susan Chipley said...

Ice trekking? That sounds so awesome! I'm so envious of you guys.