Sunday, December 16, 2007

We're Here!

After 24 hours of travel, we are finally in our hotel room in Buenos Aires. We didn't end up missing any flights, or having any of our connections canceled... but it's not all good news. They did a last minute aircraft swap and we were forced to wedge ourselves into THESE on the plane we were assigned:
No glamour seats! Unbelievable... the humanity of it all! I'm kidding here of course. The seats were fine and it wouldn't have mattered a whole lot anyway. I think I was awake long enough to eat half of what was on my plate before sleeping the rest of the way. We flew through the storm we were talking about earlier and it was turbulence like I have never experienced. You know it's bad when the flight attendants have been instructed to remain in their seats, buckled up for three full hours. Crazy. We did a quick stop in Santiago, Chile, and then landed in Argentina to find out the airport workers were on strike. There was one luggage team unloading every plane that touched down. About an hour later, the conveyor belt started burping out luggage and luckily our two bags were some of the first.

We arrived at the Alvear Palace Hotel in Buenos Aires. Wow, wow, wow. As far as service goes, it is above and beyond anything we have stayed at before. It started by welcoming us to our room which was equipped with fresh fruit, fresh cut roses, and Hermes products in the bathroom. Here are some pictures:
We also just finished having our La Prairie 'jet-lag recovery' massage in the spa downstairs. Once that was over, we came upstairs and ordered up a bottle of wine... a bottle that cost about $20. Look at what we got:
That's all for now. Time to go explore.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

The room is beautiful but do you realize when you lie on top of hotel bedding it probably has not been laundered in weeks and is full of much grossness - even in that beautiful room!!! Wouldn't want you to catch anything or get bit on your fab trip :)

Susan Chipley said...

UGH! A sweet hotel? Massages? (I was a massage therapist in my former life. You know, the pre-Mama days.) I'm so jealous as my back aches from working away in the kitchen all afternoon!

Anonymous said...

I see you guys are slumming it once again. I can relax now knowing you have arrived safely. That 3 hrs. of turbulence would have done me in though. Have fun! p.s. A New Day is fabulous! Brings back wonderful memories, cannot wait for Oct. 08.
XO to you both!

Angie Horn said...

Jess, it's hard to express how jealous I am that you (let alone anyone) are having such an experience of relaxation right now. I think I'm living your opposite life. Have a wonderful time & merry christmas! xoxo

Anonymous said...

Hermes toiletries, cut roses, and fruit baskets oh my! Hope to be seeing some pictures and hear about your adventures around Buenos Aires soon. I'm jealous.

itisthelittlethings said...

I can't BELIEVE you didn't invite me with! You left me here to pack and move while you jaunt around Argentina?
You bad, bad boys... :)

Diva said...

Awesome room!!! I am still having nightmares about the supposed 4-star room we ended up in whilst in Munich.

Wine & Dine kids!! Enjoy!!!

Anonymous said...

Looks like it's going to be a great trip. Damn, too bad you didn't get those sweet ass seats on the plane. I'm so jealous right now!