Monday, December 17, 2007

"What's new Buenos Aires...."

Hi everyone, Ryan here. Yup, apparently I have to do some of the blog too, so be kind to me, I not nearly as talented a writer as Jess.

Did Jess mention how fabulous this hotel is?? Oh my God, this is a level of service we didn't know existed. We almost don't want to leave our room or the hotel. Last night when we returned from dinner and walked through the lobby Jess let out one of those gay gasps that could only mean one thing...a celeb in our midst. Who was sitting there in front of us but Robert Deniro in the lobby bar. We pretended to be too cool to care, of course. Upon returning to the room we found this wonderful welcome home, good night gift. Macaroons as good as the ones we had at La Duree in Paris.


This was the card sitting beside the macaroons. We proceeded to place the card in the minibar. We'll let you know how it turns out.













Well, that lasted long, didn't it? It's Jess... Ryan is tired. Apparently "this blogging thing is hard." I'll give him credit, the connection takes forever to upload a picture. Anyway, here was the rest of our day. We went on a three hour tour (... a three hour tour) with a tour guide named Diego (the picture is of him and Ry). It was actually fascinating going through the city. A lot to be learned. Of course, the highlight of the tour for Ryan was visiting Evita Peron's grave... not because he knows who she is but because Madonna played her in the movie. Her story is fascinating however. If you're into history, look her up. Nothing like a movie star marrying into politics.





















So if you have seen the movie Evita (the one playing in the hotel DVD player right now... should I be happy? I mean, it's a break from Celine Dion's new DVD...) and you recognize the balcony she spoke from, you'll see it behind Ryan. Directly behind him. I haven't seen the movie, nor do I care to. Turns out I should have payed closer attention. I thought it was the one on the left. Nope, it's the one that he's blocking. Funny for me, annoying for him (but funny wins, right?)


Ry also wanted me to post this picture. This is the moselium of the man (as far as the Argentine are concerned) who 'invented' Salsa Golf... a 50/50 mix of ketchup and mayonnaise. If my partner was ever going to join a religion, it would be the one that this man started.

















Oooh... check this out. Forget Jess, I now go by 'Mrs. ("Name removed" because Ryans patient's can find him here)' (only funny for those of you that know my partner's name is Ryan ("Name removed" and my name is Jesse Magee). It reminded us of flying into Prague last year and walking out of the airport to find our driver holding a sign that said 'Mr. and Mrs. "Name removed" ' Talk about a photo opportunity missed!







Here we are at La Recoleta Cemetary where Evita is buried (oh, and the salsa golf inventor). I think horizontal stripes are really working for me. What do you think?










And of course, here is me being inappropriate as our tour guide walks up to find us. Whoops. More tomorrow.

6 comments:

Kennethwongsf said...

One live celebrity (Robert De Niro) and one dead one (Eva Peron) in a single day? That's a red-letter day in my book. Have fun in Buenos Aires!

Melissavina said...

Salsa Golf makes me puke in my mouth but then I remember that I love 1,000 island dressing. Go figure.

I laughed out loud twice while reading this and had to explain myself to co-workers (apparently laughter is cause for alarm in the Christmas stress of my office.)

I love that you're traveling again, and now we get to hear from Ry!! Holla.

Diva said...

Sweeet! I know you kids are having a baaa-last!!! I can tell by the cannon picture there would be a laugh a minute.
BTW... The stripes are definitely perfect on you. Keep 'em!!

Have an awesome rest of your trip, guys!!
xoxo Diva

Susan Chipley said...

This post is one the funniest blog posts I've ever read. You guys could get paid for this, you know.

Nanette said...

Ha! I am loving your travel adventure. Around these parts they call that Salsa Golf 'fry sauce'.

Nice cannon! ;)

HopSkipJump said...

Kennethsf: I'm sure we will. I've seen you around in the blogosphere. Glad you found this site.

Melissavina: I didn't even know Salsa Golf existed. I'm sure Ryan will be shipping a case home. Do they sell it in California?

Divalicious: Ya, we were laughing until our historian tour guide walked up while we were taking it. Whoops.

Dalai Mama: Thanks! What a job that would be!

Nanette: We call it fry sauce too... except we just mix mayo and ketchup. I had no idea there was such a thing until now.