Sunday, December 23, 2007

Nothin' Says Christmas Like a Drag Show

It’s hard to believe that Christmas is the day after tomorrow. Aside from several decorations scattered here and there for the sake of tourists, Christmas does not happen in Argentina. To be honest, I can’t say we’re missing the hoopla of concerts and parties. It’s kind of nice to just let it go by, unnoticed (I have a feeling we’ll be hearing from mother on this one).

Last night we met our friends Marc and Mike for dinner in the Polermo Soho district of the city and ended up going across the street to a bar called Chueca . As we were finishing up, a drag show began so we stayed to check it out. It was absolutely hilarious. I'm not sure what this queens name is but she does a great parody of Celine Dion from the Titanic.

Things have been fairly relaxed since we came back to the city which has been fabulous. We've even taken naps. Ryan has even enjoyed the naps. Today being Sunday, we went to the San Telmo market. It is basically a massive flea market where artists, antique collectors, and anyone that has anything to sell sets up a little kiosk for the day. Also, there were women squeezing fresh orange juice on the street for 5 pesos a glass and amazingly talented puppeteers putting on shows. I think it was the first time I actually felt like were were definitely in non-European foreign country. If it wasn't the sights, it was the smells... kind of a combination of smoked hazelnuts, tobacco, spices, incense, and popcorn. I'm sure I could include dog shit to the mix but it kind of takes away from your mental image.

As we were walking around, I could help but think of one of our friends back in Vancouver named Zoltan. This is the guy that can take something that I would label as "Who the hell would want THIS?!?," recognize its value, and find that person who would want it and make a mint by selling it on Ebay. I knew as Ryan and I were walking around looking at all of the really cool things like vintage telephones and 1950s toys that were still in their boxes, and realizing that they were basically giving things away with the prices they were charging, Zoltan would be furious with us for not taking some of the things home. The thing is, we don't have the eye for it. With our luck, we would have brought home a suitcase full of the things that weren't of any value. I'm sure our friend could have made thousands there today.

Going out for dinner is a sure thing but apart from that, the last two days have been very leisurely. We've just been exploring for the most part.

As the end of the year approaches, Ryan and I have been discussing whether or not we should just be comfortable in the bodies we have, or if we should lose weight. Our latest taxi ride answered the question for us*.

*Actually, this is a car we came across the other day as we walked down the street. Having been there before the police arrived to see inside of the hole and how deep it was, we were wondering if we should be walking a little more gingerly. Seriously, how does that happen? "Just pave it man, just pave it! No one will know there is nothing holding it up!"

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ohhh the market, the picture with all the people walking down the street and the man with the red socks....... I am almost there with you.... Boys, you are Perez make my day :)

HopSkipJump said...

Tracy: Glad you are enjoying the blog, and don't think we aren't checking Perez while here. He spent the whole day yesterday shopping with no posts to his blog, unacceptable! Ryan here, btw.

Anonymous said...

How funny is your post about the taxi, oh my God, did I ever laugh at that. That's kinda how I am starting to feel, and the eat-fest hasn't even started, so no taxi's for me. You have such a terrific sense of humour.It really does make my day! Merry Christmas, relax/enjoy your time away from the hussle & bussel 'cause we are all coming to have Christmas with you guys next year! XO

HopSkipJump said...

Mums the Word: I'm glad you're laughing. Things are getting out of hand. My torso in underwear is starting to look like toothpaste trying to be forced back into the tube.

I'll get the beds ready for next year. Hope you, Bill, Tracey, and Nick don't mind sharing the spare bedroom bed. The boys will have to sleep in between us. I'm sure they won't mind.

Anonymous said...

We will just push the bed thats in there closer to the window, and bring one of those blow-up beds with us, actually, I think T& N may have one, so we are all set. So looking forward to it. Thanks!

Whiskeymarie said...

I am loving your travel posts. You should be glad you're missing christmas. I have eaten so many cookies and crap in the last 4 days that I'm going to have to audition for "the Biggest Loser" pretty soon.

Eat while you're on vacation! You can diet at home!