Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Bastille Day Fireworks

Last night we ventured over to the Eiffel Tower to watch the fireworks. The hotel told us the fireworks started at 10:45 and that we should get there an hour early to get a seat for our picnic. Having seen the throngs of people out and about celebrating their love of France we thought we should head over earlier than that and got to the Champs de Mars (where Jess and I have picnicked with my mom and sister a couple of years ago) 3 hours before the fireworks to find the crowd impenetrable. We should have known better, given that the walk there felt like walking down 5th Ave in NYC at Christmas. So after having a look at this crowd we had to go to plan "B" and made our way back to some park in front of Napoleon's tomb that had a good view of the Eiffel Tower too.

We chilled here for a few hours enjoying our signature Parisian picnic, tomatoes, baguette, cheese, pastries and wine . It was so nice to just relax and people watch and absorb the French culture. The youth of France were gathered to celebrate their country while they chain smoked and drank red wine while the police sauntered by without any care (Jess would have been happy to light up with his new friends but he would have been looking for a second hotel room).


We were super excited to see the fireworks. After all we have spent every year watch CNN on New Years to see how they ring in the New Year in each time zone (lame, I know) and had remembered the images of fireworks bursting out the the sides of the Eiffel Tower. While it was cool to see, it was kinda just... um... like fireworks. Once you have seen 100 fireworks shows you are pretty much done for life. You would be hard pressed to get Jess and I to any fireworks show at home because they are WAY past our bedtime of 9pm .
Today, we woke up at 7:00 a.m. and went back to bed... until NOON!! I can't remember the last time we slept past 8:00 a.m. Mind you, who knows what 8:00 a.m. translates in Parisian time. We changed all of our watches and time on the computer because we felt that knowing the time at home was doing us a disservice. We got up, still feeling somewhat wonky, and went for lunch at Hotel Costes. After a bit of glamour window shopping, we picked up some more picnic supplies, toured the Musee de l'Orangerie and came back at the hotel room.

We leave for the Loire Valley tomorrow. Melissa, you mentioned you wanted to see how we were getting there. Here it is:

11 comments:

Mom said...

How much would I LOVE to see you two touring France in that car and not the luxury car I know you will be driving.

Aaaaw, I remember our picnic well, what fun. The photo of Ryan holding the tomatoes and basil, think I have one just like it from 3 years ago.

Glad to see that you both are really relaxing and taking it slow on this vacation, after all, isn't that what vacations are all about?

Enjoy! XO

Melissavina said...

Are you SERIOUS?! That is my fantasy car, you know that, right? The night before I got my drivers license I had a dream that was my car! If only I was being shuttled around France in the back seat with you two (and a bottle of wine) I would be in utter heaven. I could die upon return a happy woman. So jealous. Steal me some soaps!

Mrs. Spice (Holly) said...

Ah geez. That car just confirms that I need to continue on my diet and lose a bajillion pounds if we are going to rent a car in Europe. I'm pretty sure I ate a sandwich bigger than that car one time. I'm not proud of it...I'm just sayin...

Patrick said...

Love it! I'm picturing it now--Ryan with his Chanel sunglasses and his Hermes headscarf, scooting through the french countryside. It should have been a convertible!!! :P

*dalyn said...

i hear those cars have remarkable head and leg room... cough cough. i guess you'll let us know if thats the case. *d

Unknown said...

OMG! I want that car!

and I wish I had your picnic - looks fab!

Gucci Muse said...

Aw, I love cartoon cars! It looks pretty damned sharp!

Now what a tease that chomped into baguette was-it looked so good. Yum. And I thought the cheese was deviled eggs at first.

Melissavina said...

Hey, I just got a fabulous rec for you guys. Hotel Costes in Paris. My co-worker said it will freak your shit out, you'll love it so much. He said to just go get a drink there at least, but if you can get into their underground grotto you'll be in heaven. Wooo!!

HopSkipJump said...

Melissavina: You don't actually read the blog, do you? We went there for lunch... and linked to the hotel (it's in BRIGHT YELLOW).

HopSkipJump said...

Melissavina: Ryan just told me it's green, not yellow. Just call me Captain Colorblind.

Melissavina said...

Duh...