Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Reims, France: Champagne Country

We managed another 715 k.m. journey through France and we're more than happy it's the last long stretch we have left to drive on this trip. At this point, we've been witness to several accidents and are fortunate we haven't been part of one. You would think that we'd be used to driving here by now but it's impossible to accustom yourself to people hovering between lanes and leaving signal lights on at all times. Ryan gasps and slams on his imaginary brake pedal every time a car moves slightly towards ours which immediately sends me into a panic. Totally fair when you consider I don't see half of the speed demons moving in my direction. A particularly stress inducing moment came today when Ryan saw the woman next to us asleep at the wheel, not realizing that it was a British car and the driver was at the other side.
Our hotel, Chateau Les Crayeres, is brilliant. It seems a lot more old world than the others we have been at and more... what's the word... proper(?). Don't think I'll be walking through the lobby in my flip flops with my pool towel wrapped around my head in this one. After a quick look at the hotel menu on the way to the room, we decided that we will definitely not be eating here unless we can get a good price for our car when we get back. Thanks to Ryan's 'months-in-advance' planning, we managed to snag one of the best rooms in the place. Not something you'd want to live in, per se, but lovely to experience for a few days and the view from the terrace is spectacular.

Can't you just picture the interior decorator as a young, apologetic, super insecure woman bringing the owners through for the first time. "Weeelllll? What do you think? You like blue, right? I love blue! You don't think it's too busy, right? I just LOVED the wallpaper. Do you like the wallpaper?"

We ate some lunch and went for the half hour walk it takes to get down to the city centre after getting a map from the concierge. We were a bit worried as we walked. The city was uber quiet and we saw very few people and cars. I'm talking, really quiet:
We eventually found a really cute city square full of blocked streets, cafes, and shops. As luxurious as four days with having nothing to do is, I was a bit relieved that we found some life. I'm not sure another three days of reading would have had the same appeal. Like most major cities in Europe, there is a famous cathedral and we went to check it out.
Not the best self-portrait but I was in no mood for capturing the perfect moment. You see, we have officially started the part of the trip where we have to start 'smell testing' our clothes. It has been hovering around 30 degrees celsius (86 F) for the bulk of our trip and the humidity has been quite high. I don't need to tell you what this weather, combined with a 3 hour walk, does to the netherregions of one's body. After looking at the hotel laundry sheet and having my eyes pop out of my head as I saw 'Men's Shirt - 15 Euro ($23)' printed in a lovely, scripted font, I thought I might try going commando instead of getting some clothes laundered. Right... so combine that heat, humidity, and walk with some really rough inseams. Not a pretty picture. It was right about at this point that I was trying to figure out whether to hike my shorts to my tits to make sure that my dewy thighs don't rub together anymore, or just take the fastest route home. I tried out every available option on the way.

We have a reservation for dinner tonight back at a little Bistro in the city centre but Ryan is konked out on the bed and not feeling very well. Part of me thinks that I might be using our taxi to do a McDonald's run. If things take a turn for the worse, not to worry. I found a hospital on the way back to our hotel that he will have no problems checking into.

7 comments:

Mom said...

Gosh darn you are funny!

You know that is exactly like Bill & I are on a driving trip, I am forever braking & gasping, he gets sooo mad at me. Thus far we are still together, hope the same for you two.

The decor in that room is, quite frankly, ugly! The view from the terrace and the terrace more then make up for it.

It's only 30 there, we are hotter 32 and up with humidity feeling like 38. Bet you can't wait to get home to more heat.

Hope Ry is feeling better,he is probably sick at the thought of having to come home. Oh well, all good things must come to an end.
Hey, you are coming home newly engaged, just like Jillian.....Don't puke Jesse..

Love to my boys!

Auntie Sandi said...

Hi guys,
Jess you are so descriptive I laughed and laughed even Meko (our Boston terrier) came into the kitchen to see what I was laughing about. The car braking is me with Dave and he is usually a calm and tolerant husband but he really can lose it if I do this! The shorts were so funny I honestly could envision all of it. Better start praying for the weather to change here it is intolerable. Ryan watched the after the rose and they are really really in love and very happy, wedding is next year and she is moving to _________. Hope Ryan is feeling better! Alexandra

T.B. said...

Surely Rick Steves' must have mentioned a laundry you can go to and do it yourself :) Hopefully you are not smelling as bad as what I experienced!

Missing you at work...

Gucci Muse said...

Oh, LORD, just LOVE that balcony!

Loved the video-I can't believe the wall paper is not only on the walls, but the curtains, the bedspread, the headboard, etc etc. I did like the hallway-anything pink with flowers is fine by me.

Blech-7 hours of stress driving-I would have been a witch through all of it.....

HopSkipJump said...

Mom: We made it out to dinner but but we were home within an hour. You know Ry is truly sick when he orders a steak and doesn't eat it. He's feeling much better today (thank god for both of us).

Alex: You and those rose ceremonies. I tried watching one episode with Ryan and it was PAINFUL. I don't know how you guys do it. What's really bad is that we're coming home to 6 or 7 taped episodes and he's going to hog the TV for an entire day.

Ashrams: I can't believe you just wrote the 'W' word in a post while I'm still on vacation. Evil. :) And... for the record... the last time we were in Paris we did go to a laundromat and then got to thinking... we did not fly to the other side of the world to spend one of our days overheating and folding underwear.

Gucci: Isn't the balcony awesome? The only bad part is that there is a glass wall between us and our neighbours. Great when we're alone but not very private if they're out there too.

Gucci Muse said...

Glass wall? Well that certainly limits the balcony experience. I can't deny with a glass wall I would be watching the neighbors on their part of the balcony more than what would be going on down below in the courtyard. I'm nosy like that. :)

Unknown said...

That hotel is so beautiful. I would paint the walls white, though. The balcony is t die for.

I love the picture of the little old ladies with the dog!