Friday, July 9, 2010

Glamour and Gutter

Today we actually slept in. It could have been the obscene amount of Italian food we ate last night at the hotel... or the fountain outside... or the fan... or the air-conditioning. Regardless, we were happy to sleep past 4:30 a.m.
Go figure we actually had something booked this morning. The hotel offers a cooking class that includes a tour of the local fish market and supermarket and we were really excited to go. As soon as we got there I realized what we were in for. It reminded me of Taiwan. Smells that absolutely rape your nostrils, dodging scooters left and right, heartbreaking cases of emaciated dogs and puppies, and the reminder that no matter how bad things seem to be, it isn't as bad as other people have it. It's actually the chef here that takes you to both places, goes through the process of how the products come to Bali and end up at the restaurant to cook.
Once we finished at both markets we went to the building that held our cooking class on "the property." Again, it was like stepping into another reality. Clean, pristine, and catering to those who don't have to worry about much. The security is ridiculously high after the terrorist bombing at a Bali nightclub in 2002 which means even the hotel vehicles get a security check (including under-mirrors and dogs) every time they drive into the grounds.
As far as our cooking class went, everything was pre-cleaned, pre-chopped, and pre-pared. We just threw a few things into a pot and sat back, pretending we cooked it. We were coupled with a father and son from England, and an Egyptian couple living in Montreal. It was a 6 hour process so we actually got to know them somewhat and it ended up being a lot of fun.
The menu was Asian inspired so it consisted of Tom Yum Soup, Chicken and Prawn Gyoza, and Vegetarian Mie Goreng. It was an amazing menu for me. Ryan, not so much. I had to plow through a bit of it so that he didn't look like he didn't like it.
Once we 'graduated from the class' we went for a drink at one of the main buildings. So, I have to say something about wine here. We haven't been drinking any. Apparently in Bali, the tax on wine is outrageous. Ryan has been DYING. For example, a glass of Yellowtail (Read: $10 a bottle in Canada) is about $17 per glass here. Needless to say, we have been sticking to beer. O'kay, maybe he treated himself to one glass...
We went for a walk on the beach once we were done. So lovely. Hot, and lovely. Pretty incredible to be in this part of the world.
Once we were done, it was back to cool off at our private plunge pool... with a drink or two... and Barney.

12 comments:

Cutes said...

Hey, so in the video, Ry, do you realize that as you are walking out towards the table to stir your drink, there is a mirror hanging on the wall?? all i can say, is THANK GOD you had something on LOL, Impressive Dr. Kaltio.....hoping it was the leopard print...

Ginger Vk said...

Damn, miss HART, you don't miss a thing. You caught the one time I actually had clothes on!! XO

Ginger Vitis said...

Shit,I hit a button I shouldn't have, crap!!

Walt's Gram said...

Cutes, he is wearing your robe AND slippers!
Hey, does Jesse get service like that at home? That is so luxurious, I would never want to leave, especially the fact that you have so much privacy.
I thought for sure once Ryan started the tour of the fish markets that he would be barfing & have to leave. I would imagine the smell would be awful considering the heat.
You lucky buggars, it's paradise!
XO

Melissavina said...

I don't even know what to say. There are too many... not enough... I have no words.

Anonymous said...

Glad to see that you are behaving yourselves??!!!! I can't believe you are in a tropical paradise and NO VIRGIN CHI CHI, what! The look on Ryan's face at the beach was a little twisted like he had seen something that certinly did not agree with him. The private pool what a luxury! Sitting at the beach looks wonderful can you take more pics of the beach at the resort please. Looking forward to your next adventure! Alex

HopSkipJump said...

Note to self... post only when sober.

T.B. said...

Okay, now we are talking - I love the market pics! Laughed to kill myself at Barney and I get a sense that you Jess are feeling happy, relaxed and calm... Miss you a lot xo

p.s. non sober posts work for me!

HopSkipJump said...

T.B.: I guess you never saw the video of Jess swimming naked that we posted after a few cocktails and immediately removed this morning. I loved it, he not so much! If you looked carefully you could almost see his business.

Mom: Fish market was so stinky. I was panicking thinking we were going to cooking fish at the cooking class.

Melissa: I guess you saw the video :)

Alex: I would never let a virgin cocktail pass these lips.

Gucci Muse said...

damn, late to the party and missed the video....

fab photos as usual-you looked cute pressing what looked like the gyoza, which of course reminds me of Trader Joe's because that is the first time I ever saw something like that and it was so like wontons, dim sum, all that fabulously delicious stuff.

T.B. said...

Damn - I missed the video? Ryan the slippers kill me!

Melissavina said...

Boooo. The video is gone. Wah!