Saturday, July 3, 2010

Glamour Lunch And A Wee Bit of Jet Lag

O'kay, I've been bitching about the shitty weather in Vancouver for months. Maybe it's not as bad as I thought. It's between 30 and 35 degrees centigrade here and we're sweating more than kd lang at a Christian singles dance. It's not so much the heat as the humidity. Every time we step outside it feels like we're walking around in someone's mouth. That said, I'll take it any day over the overcast, dreary weather we've had to endure for so long at home. So depressing.

Today we decided to take a stroll after our morning swim. What a different world. For those of you that don't know, I (Jess) lived in Taiwan for about 2.5 years. I am actually surprised how nostalgic I am for this culture. Even the sewer smell, hanging raw meat, and crush of people everywhere you go didn't seem to phase me.
Even Ryan did fairly well, despite the above picture. It was amazing to see, again, the clash of desperately poor with ridiculously rich that this city offers. I can't help but feel guilty for having an air-conditioned, glamorous hotel room after traipsing through an alley where people are fighting to eek out a living.

TOO REAL!

On to our amazing lunch at Caprice, here in our hotel. It's a 3 Michelin Star restaurant and we went with our friends, Richard and Amber, that live here in the city. The meal was fantastic though I'm not sure it's deserving of the 3 stars. The food and service were both great but certainly not deserving of the final price tag... but let's get real. We also love Big Macs. We have had spectacular meals at diners and fine dining restaurants alike, so you never know. At the end of the day, it was a meal with friends we haven't seen in a long time so it was worth it.
After lunch we said our goodbyes and did a bit more shopping... on the street. There are air-conditioned walkways everywhere, from building to building, but we decided to be street level. You know, until the sweat started pooling under our breasts. At this point we were dying from jet-lag but we decided to press on and go to The Peak to see a view of the city from the top of the mountain. We hopped in a taxi, paid, got out, asked the employee how long the line was, he said 1.5 hours, we asked how long the line was at 7:00 a.m., he said no line, and we walked home.

We just ordered room service. We're so tired with the 15 hour time change, we can't even bring ourselves to go downstairs. We promise to do something tomorrow to make this blog worth reading.

4 comments:

Walt's Gram said...

So nice you got to see Amber & Richard, & the lunch looked yummy too!

Imagine you are getting your zzzz's now, so look forward to all the sights you guys do tomorrow.

Going to get hot here by mid-week so I will likely have the same problem as you Jesse.

Looking forward to the next posting, & that was neat to read that you are nostagic about the culture.
XO

*dalyn said...

love ryans face with the meat... awesome.

Anonymous said...

Dalyn beat me to it on the look on Ryan's face standing by the meat hanging in the window. I've been checking out the food sooo far it looks fairly clean of the "stuff". I love the view from the pool. I also love the new blog head with your smiling faces on the top good job. Sooo professional!! Alex

Anonymous said...

Wow, that meat, that lunch, that lady with the bananas-so colorful and interesting.

I don't see how anyone could enjoy or want to live in deep humidity, I don't know if I could ever get used to it at all.

Stupid blogger won't take my id

Gucci Muse