Sunday, July 18, 2010

Knocking off one more city on the way home!

So we are home! We came home to our condo clean and staged with fresh cut flowers, crisp linens and fresh groceries in the fridge to buffer the blow of coming back to reality. Thank you to our great friend Dalyn (the mother of our goddaughter, almost 2). Yes, she is superwoman, 2 year old child and time to come given the condo the Four Seasons treatment, we love her!

We always dread the end of vacation mainly due to having to go back to work but in reality Vancouver is an amazing place to come home to. The weather is 21C and sunny right now, perfection, and as I sit at the dining table, writing this, this is the view I look out over, it is pretty sweet.

But we do LOVE our travels and made most of our trip home. We had an overnight flight from Singapore to Seoul (6hrs). As we taxied to the runway the captain informed us to expect a rough flight from hour 2 to hour 4 due to us catching the tail of the typhoon that came through a day ago, sweet! We were both really tired when we boarded and both went straight to sleep on takeoff. Jess felt absolutely none of the turbulence the captain mentioned and when I did wake up I took reference of "wow, this is bumpy, but it could be worse" and feel right back asleep.

We arrived at ICN the aiport for Seoul at 7:30 am for a 9 hour layover and booked at 5 hour city tour. Quick costume change and we were off. Jess and I have this goal of trying to "pin" as many world cities and countries on our travel map as possible. A layover in an airport doesn't count but a tour of the city does, so we have now "pinned" Seoul, South Korea and the country of Korea!!

The airport in Seoul is brand spanking new, it opened in 2001 and was built on 2 islands that were filled in to make one. The building is an architectural masterpiece. The airport (just like Singapore's) is set up to make it the most appealing hub as possible. Check out these FREE amenities that were offered in either Singapore or Korea while you wait: swimming pool, suntanning area, sleeping lounges, showers, hand craft areas. The airport was gorgeous, like walking through the most beautiful high end shopping mall.

SIDEBAR: Hello Canada, America, Europe you had better watch your back. Asia has it going on. The money being spent here is amazing. Economic "turndown", not happening here!! The way our airlines/airports run and the way they treat people are light years away from the Asian philosophy. In Asia they have figured out that being nice and smiling doesn't cost alot of money. Okay, stepping down from the soapbox.

Our tour of Seoul took us to a number of city sites, the main one being Gyeongbokgung Palace (say that 5 times fast, try even say it once, I had no idea what the hell she was saying every time our guide mentioned it).



(Apparently, this is the "IN" pose when taking a photo Asia, we like to try blend in)

We were taken to a pedestrian mall to do some shopping.I think this is some kind of larva stew, icky. The old woman cooking it was tasting the sauce the way you would taste your spaghetti sauce to make sure it was perfectly seasoned, yuck!
Lunch was Korean barbequed beef. Okay but not my fave.We flew home on Air Canada in Executive First (business). Air Canada revamped their planes a couple of years ago to put private "suites" with lie flat beds in business (we call them pods). The seats are great and are actually really comfortable to sleep in (especially if you order a side of Halcion ;) ) The service though is another story, more dinosaurs on board barely hiding how much they hate their job.

Our plane had a little mechanically difficulty and we had to wait in the aircraft for 2.5 hours before we could leave the gate. The free flowing Champagne made this a non-issue.

We both slept the entire flight and it was an absolute breeze.

Home now, looking at my new "Travel and Leisure" that arrived listing the worlds best hotels and airlines and dreaming about where to next. FYI Singapore Airlines is number one (Cathay is 5, Miss Hart, luv ya) No airline from North America makes the list, shocking!! Of the hotels we stayed at on this trip the Four Seasons in Singapore, Hong Kong and Jimbaran Bay (Bali) are near top rated on this years list, nice.

Jess and I go to Comox tomorrow to pick up our angel (and celebrate mother's birthday) and we can't wait. We have missed him so much.

8 comments:

*dalyn said...

glad you are home but not looking forward to the jenny craig, wieght watchers, detox, turning a new leaf thang you two will be delving into as of this Monday. regardless... i love you both and i'm glad you're home safe. xox *d

Unknown said...

Welcome home.

Walt's Gram said...

Happy you are both home safe & sound, not so happy you are coming to get my little nugget. Will miss him more then I ever thought I would. He's a little person in fur.
I am so impressed with Seoul, don't know what I expected, but it is so modern. Glad you got to experience it. Tired or not!
You are bang on about Asia. Have heard that before & the Western world better watch out.
Bravo for your "rant"!
Can't wait to see you guys tomorrow & this will be very special just to have you both here on my B-Day. Can't even remember when the last time you were home for it.
Thanks again for writing & amusing us all on your travels. I feel I have seen so much of the world through your eyes.
See ya tomorrow!

Ryan said...

It's your birthday???

Cutes said...

and your trip is now done! Wow what an awesome adventure you guys had. and I am soooo glad that I got to, kinda, be apart of it :) I will miss reading these, so hurry up and go away again.

You better come back....when my kids no longer need me....and we will do HK another way :)

well, until next year...keep fit...and have fun!

Gucci Muse said...

So glad you are home safe-I dread the end of weekends because of Mondays and its one part of the reason I hate the end of vacations-I always need a vacay from all that time off-

I would be so scared of missing my flight by taking a 5 hour city tour...I hope they picked you up at the airport. I guess that is how it would work.

Gross, that larvae stew-how filthy, tasting it like that and then trying to sell it-that is how I feel about street food in general, especially in NYC-can't help it.

I hope you do your regular blog again-it was great to read!

At least I can keep myself occupied with trashy reality tv.....

-sigh- going to "miss" you guys!

Guccimuse

Emily said...

Such fun to read your blog! Welcome home!

Whiskeymarie said...

AHHHH!!!
I can't believe I kept forgetting to put you in my reader!! Crap!

Well, I'm here now and thrilled as ever to read of your (much better than mine) travels. You're in the reader now, so I shall not miss out from now on.
XO