Saturday, July 3, 2010

Up In The Clouds

I can't really say we're adjusting well to the time change. We were up at 12:30 a.m. this morning, both took a sleeping pill, and managed to stay sleeping until 4:00 a.m. which really isn't a big deal except that there is nothing to do for a couple hours. We went down for breakfast at 6:30 a.m. and I decided to stray away from the eggs and order a 'Hong Kong Breakfast.'
It was so delicious. Beef Rice Congee, Dim Sum,and Fried Noodles. Ryan probably would have loved it as well but it required chopsticks which he's terrified of using... and I've seen him use them. Let's just say some people are better with a fork. I don't know how the hell he got through dental school. You'd think chopsticks would be a breeze compared to a high-speed dental drill in someone's mouth. Then again, he was raised on grilled cheese, Kraft Dinner, and roast beef. He gets a pass.

We took a swim after breakfast and again, there was hardly anyone there because it was so early. Well, there was a mother and child there. I saw the little girl looking at us, talking to her mother, looking back at us, and then turning to her mother laughing while she patted her belly. We immediately came back to the room, shut off the lights, put Christina Aguilera's 'Beautiful' on repeat, crawled into bed, and cried ourselves to sleep.

We decided that even though it was really cloudy at the mountain peaks, we would just go up anyway and hope that the wind blew it off so that we could get a good view of the city from the top. We got to entrance and there wasn't a soul in sight. We questioned whether or not to go up considering there was a 1.5 hour lineup the last time we tried but decided that it was cheap so, what the hell.
The trip to the top had a really steep incline. In the picture above, I am standing totally straight... made for a cool picture. The ride only lasted a couple minutes and I was amazed at the view. I had forgotten what a spectacular sight it was from the top.
We enjoyed the cool breeze up high and managed to dodge the vendors selling all of their crappy touristy garbage. Once we got to the bottom we wandered around and found the world's longest escalator. Fascinating, I know. To be honest, it was kind of nice to just 'cruise' considering the heat.

After a quick repose in the room, we were off to lunch. An official Chinese lunch at a restaurant called Lung King Heen. I was scared for Ryan and shocked that he would even make the reservation... until I realized it was the world's only Chinese 3 Michelin Star restaurant. Thank god it was all dim sum. Chicken spring rolls, BBQ pork buns, and Beef Noodles. Who could complain (about the food, not the chopsticks)?
After a healthy amount of wine, it was time to shop. Hong Kong is actually really expensive and you can actually get everything quite a bit cheaper at home... but like I said, after a healthy amount of wine, it was time to shop. I can't tell you how exhausting it was.
Ok... enough blogging. We're going drunk swimming.

7 comments:

Cutes said...

Ummmmm hello??? where is the LV bag??? glad you guys liked the peak, the train is pretty cool...have a safe flight tomorrow and enjoy singapore! Again so awesome to see you guys, kisses and hugs to you both!

Walt's Gram said...

Hey, I am with cutes, no LV bag, what the h#%&$!
Those chopsticks scare me too, but the food looks very yummy, especially your breakfast, Jesse.
Funny bit with the little girl at the pool, my sensitive boys!
Yes, safe flight to Singapore, & love that I get to read your posts right as soon as I get up. Makes my day!
XO

Unknown said...

Honkers is great. I got South African friends who live there now. Looks like you're having a good time.

T.B. said...

I absolutely love the first pic on this entry! Have a sling (or two) for me! xo

Peech said...

I miss that place! But actually, it's so nice to see it again without actually having to go there in that heat. And mmmmmm, sewer smell and congee. Love it. Good effort on the chopsticks Ryan! Keep on writing, I love your take on it all. xoxo.

Paige Jennifer said...

I think Ryan might be my friend Joe's long lost brother. "Oh please, I didn't eat a vegetable until I went off to college."

And the photo of Ryan with the chopticks? Brilliant. You guys always crack me up.

Anonymous said...

The paper lanterns! I want some.

The view of the city was FABULOUS-just gorgeous.

And how I LOVE dim sum.....

guccimuse