Thursday, July 31, 2008

Krakow, Poland

We have made our way to Krakow and settled into the Wentzl Hotel. The hotel is supposed to be the best in Krakow according to (my bible) Tripadvisor. It is located on and has a view of the main square. Our room is decorated in that "grandma's house" style but is probably the largest room so far this trip. They have upgraded the room with a large plasma TV and a surround sound system that blasts dance music if you press the wrong button on the remote.Krakow is beautiful, very fairytale like, similar to Prague. Lots of pedestrian streets with interesting shops. (Hi mom, Jess and I have decided that this necklace will be perfect on you at Christmas or Thanksgiving)We are going to sample some Polish cuisine this evening. From what we have seen on the menus on our walk this afternoon it looks right up our alley. We're praying fried cheese is big here too. If all else fails we have already found the nearest McD's and yes, they have there regional specialities (although looks more asian than Polish...I am sure Jess will give it a try)
Tomorrow we are off to tour the salt mines. We know, sounds lame but everyone who has been here has said its amazing and a definite must see. Saturday we are off to tour Auschwitz. We are a little apprehensive about the Auschwitz tour, will be very emotional and heavy but we think it is important to do.

3 comments:

Patrick said...

There's nothing like eating Asian food in a Polish restaurant belonging to an American franchise! Wow--I turn around, and I've missed PAGES of your postings. Having shared many a hotel room with Ryan in the past, I know that the maid that failed to re-align the flashlight in the drawer is somewhere in Istanbul rocking back and forth in the fetal position.

Anonymous said...

Uuuum, about that granny necklace, just not my style, even if I am a granny, but oh the fact that you thought about me, THANKS! Did you NOT buy me that big diamond you saw, was it in Istanbul? Ry, you are tooo funny!

Looks beautiful there, & Auschwitz I am sure will be emotional,& it will certainly put your life in perspective.

Have a great day,look forward to pixs from the Salt Mine.

Susan Chipley said...

I believe my dad and sister stayed in that very hotel on their trip to Krakow two years ago. They raved about it.

Auschwitz. That's heavy. I don't think I'll ever be able to go there. I would be overcome with grief. I could barely keep it together in the Anne Frank House in Amsterdam.