Wednesday, July 16, 2008

We're Leaving On A Jet Plane...

The spare bedroom has officially turned into the 'packing room' which means we are close to getting on that plane and getting out of here. The timing couldn't come at a more ideal time, especially for me. As of July 15th, I will have handed in the last of my logged hours for my practicum completion which means that... (cue drum roll)... I am officially done my Master's degree. WOO HOO! Ryan is just devastated that I will be earning a decent living in the next month or so, and that I won't have to fork over all of my cash to UBC for tuition, but I'm sure he'll get over it soon. :)

So, after traveling to Italy last year, we have learned a few things when it comes to packing. First things first... THIS is never happening again:
It didn't take long for either of us to realize on our trip to Italy last summer that we over packed... and by over packed I mean '14 pairs of shoes' over-packed. It was ridiculous. Two overweight suitcases, two travel bags, and 2 carry-on/murses. We thought we were doing O.k. until we were waiting for a train from Monterroso to Venice. Understanding Italian for 'the train to Venice will be boarding from the exact opposite end of the station' would have come in handy that day... and it would have been great if everything we owned had fit into one bag. Truth be told, it could have... call us disgusting, we each wore the same pair of shorts the entire trip... so this year, it's all about copious amounts of underwear and socks, and finding laundromats on route if need be.

So, as of right now (Wednesday evening), we both have 1 work day left. We're officially on hourly countdown. Can't wait!

18 comments:

Mauigirl said...

Congrats on the Masters!

Saw your comment over at Fran's so came over to see your travel blog! Very cool trips you go on!

We're thinking Argentina would be a good place to go next since we had read it is less expensive than other places since the euro is so strong right now.

Enjoy the trip you're leaving for now and keep us posted!

travistee said...

Now I see why you've been MIA! Congrats on all the wonderful news...and enjoy your break!

Anonymous said...

I wondered where you've been!

First - I don't know which I'm more jealous of!

Your fab travel, your view or your incredible matching luggage!

I'll be checking in and positively green with envy. Thanks for cluing me in to the new blog.

HopSkipJump said...

Mauigirl: Argentina is amazing. Go, go, go before it gets too expensive! Absolutely wonderful!

Travistee: Will definitely enjoy the break. Good to hear from you.

Dcup: The luggage is Tumi - but don't be too jealous. We've had to bring a couple of the pieces back because they've fallen apart... as long as they look good though, right?

Ishmael said...

Dude. Nice to have you back. And even though I live in the most beautiful spot in Alaska, your guest room kicks my guest room's ass.

Claire said...

Awesome!
I'm SO going to live vicariously through you, so post frequently!

Anonymous said...

Have fun!!!

Knight said...

Your packing room has an amazing view.
I was on tour for three months and quickly learned one large rolling suitcase and a backpack were more than enough. You can find cleaners somehow.
Have a great time. Keep us updated!

Emily said...

Congratulations my dahling! Can't wait to hear all about your well-deserved vacation, and to SEE YOU when you get back!
xo
Em

Anonymous said...

Boys, I am so looking forward to this trip and reading your blog - perez hilton has fierce competition for the next three weeks!

Unknown said...

Congratulations! And enjoy the trip, bitches - I'm, like, totally jealous, okay? Light luggage makes life so much easier.

So. When will you be planning a trip to South Africa, then? You can make it a 5-star, fine-food-and-wine-type safari, y'know.

M@ said...

Nice little view there.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your degree Jesse, well done!

Isn't that spare room called mom's room? About packing, who are you kidding, you 2 will never learn to pack light, this from someone who has travelled with you, my one suitcase to your five!

Have a great time, and you guys know how excited I get to see a new blog entry.Makes me happy, happy, happy.Safe travelling guys!

Melissavina said...

Oh yay! I love traveling with Jess and Ryan. Hooray. Maybe someday you'll take me along for real. Like someday when you need a nanny to stay at the hote and drink wine... er, I mean watch your children.

Melissavina said...

And do you have a pair of binoculars in your house for when you go into the guest room at night and want to check out your neighbors? Just curious.

Whiskeymarie said...

Get a Kipling rolling duffel- best luggage EVER and very light.

Sooo jealous of this trip and the amazing view from your pad!

HopSkipJump said...

Thanks for all of the comments. Looks like it's going to be difficult responding to everyone individually. So nice to hear from all of you.

Just in the process of packing (it's 6 a.m.). I'll try and get another post together before we head out.

Gucci Muse said...

So glad you have resurfaced! and Congratulations on your degree-wonderful!